I’ve been using Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum for about 6 months now and it’s become a firm favourite in my makeup bag, although I always wondered what exactly was the difference between the serum and the original foundation? When my bottle ran out I decided to go for the original and see if they differed in any way.
The serum is priced at £10.99 while the foundation is priced at £9.99 even though each has 30ml of product. They both contain natural, vitamin enriched ingredients to benefit the skin and promise 16 hour wear. So far I’m not quite seeing any differences…
The Healthy Mix Serum packaging definitely comes up tops over the original foundation. I know most people aren’t fussed about packaging, and although it wouldn’t sway me to buy a product, it’s always nice to see the company has made an effort. The Healthy Mix Serum is in a plastic slimline bottle, though it feels quite expensive and I really like the red lid as it adds a bit of colour!
The original Healthy Mix foundation’s packaging is a little bland in my opinion. It is a slightly wider bottle and I don’t really think the black lid ties in with the rest of the bottle. I also think it feels and looks a little cheaper than the Serum bottle but that might just be me!
I’ve already done a full review on Healthy Mix Serum here so I won’t go too in-depth about it but one of the things I love so much about it is how easy it is to blend and it leaves a beautiful natural finish. It’s light coverage however it’s definitely buildable. Bourjois promise a radiance boosted complexion using this foundation and I definitely agree with this as I notice my face looks visibly brighter and leaves a dewy finish once I’ve applied. Although the Serum is marketed as more of a gel foundation, I didn’t find the consistency to be much different from any normal foundation.
The original Healthy Mix foundation is more of a light to medium coverage and I found it a little harder to blend compared to the Serum. I found it took a little more work to get a flawless finish but it brightened up my skin beautifully leaving a fresh-faced look.
(apologies for the very used looking serum bottle!)
One of the main differences I noticed with these foundations is longevity. Although both promise 16 hour wear, the Serum definitely did not live up to this. I do have slightly oily skin but even when setting my makeup I found it only lasted around 6-8 hours. I’ve found the original Healthy Mix foundation lasts significantly longer with at least 10 hours wear, always a plus!
Overall, I actually think I prefer the Healthy Mix foundation over the serum. Although it takes a little longer, it’s by no means hard to blend and I love how much longer this lasts on my skin. I also like having that little bit more coverage, especially on days where my skin needs it and at a pound cheaper, you can’t go wrong! Sorry this was a bit of a long one but I hope this was helpful if you’re looking into buying either of these foundations!
Have you tried the Healthy Mix range? What did you think?


I'm so glad you did this post, I've been wondering about the difference for ages!
ReplyDeleteLaura xoxo
It always bugged me so thought I'd investigate myself!! haha :) xx
DeleteI so need to try the healthy mix foundation it sounds right up my street! I'm glad you've done this post so I know the difference between the two :)
ReplyDeleteWww.throughchelseaseyes.blogspot.com xxxx
Aw I'm glad it was helpful! They're both great foundations so I'd try either one! :) xxx
DeleteI've always wondered how these products differ so I'm very glad you made this post! I have the original Healthy Mix foundation and think I'll stick with that as I love it x
ReplyDeleteHaha I know I never understood the difference until I tried them! Yeah I think I prefer the original now but the serum will be nice for more of a light coverage in summer :) xxx
DeleteGreat post, Iv been contemplating getting the healthy mix foundation for a while now xxx
ReplyDeletewww.misslv.com
Thanks so much! If you're not looking for full coverage they're such good foundations! I'll definitely repurchase! :) xx
DeleteThis was so helpful. I'm nearly out of foundation and was going to give this a try but I didn't even realise there was two different ones. And just to let you know hun I've tagged you...http://www.backfortea.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/tag-your-it.html
ReplyDeleteHave fun and stay smiling :)
B xxx
backfortea.blogspot.com
Oh good I'm glad you found it helpful! :) Oooh yay thanks I'll check it out!! xxx
DeleteI've heard so many good things about the Healthy Mix range, I'm dying to try it! x
ReplyDeleteIt was my first ever foundation and I've never felt the need to change it! If you don't want super full coverage it's a really nice every day foundation :)xx
DeleteVery informative post, thank you! I was just in the store today, standing with these two products in my hand, and thought I'd do some more research on the difference between the two before choosing one.
ReplyDeleteI think I'm gonna go for the Healthy Mix Foundation. I like the idea of a little more coverage. :-)
Have a great weekend!
Liesl xxx
www.pretty-random-things.com